How to setup Google My Business account
Ensure to fill out as much information as possible when creating a Google My Business listing. Google ranks these profiles based on the quality of their information and favors listings with more information. By keeping the information updated you can make sure that Google is feeding the correct information to Google Maps and the local pack. This pack displays three high-performing GMB listings when conducting a local search.
A business profile alone won’t help in SERP ranking. As a completely separate step, you will need to create a GMB account from which you manage the profile or listing. Now you’re ready to optimize for ranking purposes. For additional answers to Google My Business questions, this FAQ page can help.
Steps on How to setup Google My Business account:
1. Check if someone has already created a listing for your business
- If a listing exists you can claim and verify it by following the prompted steps
- Fill out the form fields with applicable information. This ranges from name to address, phone number, website, categories, hours etc.
- Add photos
- Write a short business description in the description field
3. Create a GMB account
- This is the dashboard from which you can own, manage, or edit a Google My Business listing or ‘Business Profile’
- You will need a standard Google Account to be able to sign up for this
4. Claim and verify the Business Profile
- Search the business using the link from the first step and follow the prompts
- Once you have ownership no one else can alter the listing
- If you have a third party managing your clients’ accounts they can be added as a manager without removing ownership from you
5. Request reviews from customers
- Ensure to respond to all reviews, positive or negative
That’s it! Easy-Peasy right? Now that you learned how to setup Google My Business account, check out how to increase your Local SEO for Small Business!